Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Shattered Glass


 Author's Note: This is a possible continuation for William Carlos William's poem "Between Walls". 

the back wings
of the

hospital where
nothing

will grow lie
cinders

in which shine
the broken

pieces of a green
bottle

The story of it
fragmented 

Just like its
glass

But legend is
Tears

Once filled the 
bottle

To the very
brim


A heart is broken. This is what I think "Between Walls" by William Carlos Williams is about. Whether or not I'm right, there is definitely sadness in this poem. The mentioning of the hospital, nothing ever growing, and the broken bottle itself all led to the depressing mood of the poem.  

For my analysis, I added the background story of the bottle. I believe that my prediction was correct because I kept the mood of the story the same. 

Another reason my analysis is correct is because I made a simple object from the poem more important and placing significance on a simple object is something Williams does a lot throughout his pieces. For example, in "The Red Wheelbarrow", Williams wrote "so much depends upon a red wheel barrow."  

William Carlos Williams was an excellent poet that made ordinary things beautiful. I am greatly inspired by him and his piece was difficult to continue, but I loved the challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment