Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Child Labor Letter


Author's Note: Picture taken from http://thelinthead.blogspot.com
 












Dear Annabeth,

I hope you are happy with your new husband.  I am doing fine, workin in a cotton factory.  The hours are long and pay is low, but every penny helps.  The farm isn’t doin too well.  The cows are gettin old and mamma’s gettin stretched too  thin, doin papa’s chores and takin care of four children.  Molly is gonna start workin next year.  Eight is a young age to start workin, but she will be in the cotton factory, so I’ll be able to look after her.  It’ll be sad though to see her soft little hands turned callused like mine.  Pullin on the thread for hours burns your hands at first, but you get used to it.  The fumes, however, I don’t think I’ll ever be able to get over.  Every day, I walk through the door, and right away, I just want to turn around and run right back out.  The smell from all those machines is just foul. 

I miss you.  I know mamma does too.  But she’s happy for you.  You were lucky to get to marry a rich husband.  Between all the men being  gone at war and me never gettin out of the factory, I don’t know if I’ll ever get a husband.  I’m afraid I’ll be stuck here forever.

                                                                                                                                         With Love,
                                                                                                                                           Farrah

No comments:

Post a Comment