Friday, December 9, 2011

The Thing You Love Most

One day, I'm going to get out of this god awful town.  I'm going to make something of myself. I'll be a singer, or a dancer, or I'll write a book about myself.  As soon as I get enough money, I'm out of here. Gone for good, never coming back.  It was going to be hard to save enough money to leave, considering I was paid seven dollars an hour and no one in this town ever tipped more fifty cents. 
The end of my shift came and I walked outside to be greeted by a blizzard and six inches of snow.  Fantastic.  I even wore my tallest high-heels today.  I had walked two steps before I slipped on the ice.  I was soaked and one of my heels had broke off the shoe.  Swears streamed out of my mouth for a good two minutes.  I picked myself up off the ground and continued across the parking lot, leaving the heels behind in the snow.  That's when she came.  "What are you doing here?" I squeaked. 
"Ivadell, my dear.  Let me tell you about a deal that your sister made.   She asked for a better life in exchange for anything that I would want.  I think you know what happens when you offer a witch anything."
I nodded.  "If you offer a witch anything, they kill the thing you love the most."
"Very good.  You speak as if you yourself had made that mistake."  I had, and she knew it, but that was what witches did, they tortured their victims before they killed them.  "I gave your sister what she wanted.  Now I get to collect my payment."
The knife ripped through my flesh as I heard her say her last words.  "No matter what, there will always be a price." 

No comments:

Post a Comment