Saturday, April 28, 2012

The Lonely Teddy Bear

She used to love me.  She played with me everyday.  We would spin in circles and then collapse on the floor.  She would cuddle me and take me everywhere.  But then she got older.  She didn't take me anywhere out of the house.  She was embarrassed that she had a "stuffed animal".  I used to be a friend, not just a stuffed piece of felt.  Now, instead of living in the arms of my best friend, I live here, under her bed, in the dark corner where the sun only shines between 1:00 and 2:00.

No, my worst fear is happening.  She found me under her bed, and now I'm in a garage sale box that is marked things that are $0.50.  So I guess years of childhood happiness is only worth 50 cents.  I fear I won't be sold, and you know what happens to things that don't get sold, they get thrown into the garbage.  I don't want my life timeline to be store self to loving arms to garage sale to trash.  But wait, there might yet be hope in my stuffy world, someone is coming over to my box.  "Look mommy, it's a teddy bear!"  Oh, I can tell it's a loving child just by the way she says teddy bear like it's the best thing in the world. "Can we get it, please, mommy, please?"

"I suppose, it's just fifty cents."

During the car ride to my new home, I am held in the arms of my new friend.  I would cry of happiness if teddy bears could.

I will always miss my old friend, but at least the hole in my heart isn't as deep, now that I am loved once more.

1 comment:

  1. Cool. There are no other words to describe how I feel about this piece...

    ReplyDelete